So yesterday I broke my spending freeze (against better judgment) to buy Coraline - in 3D! And so I have just spent entirely too much time on the Coraline movie website which has loads of fabulous featurettes about how the movie was made, and it's AMAZING.
The plot for anyone who is unaware-
And some of the stop-motion goodness-
Some interesting trivia found via imdb:
- To construct one puppet of Coraline, ten individuals had to work 3-4 months.
- There were a total of 207,336 possible face combinations for Coraline.
- The Coraline shoot lasted over 18 months, following 2 years of pre-production.
- Coraline marks the first time that a stop-motion animated morphing sequence has ever been accomplished. The sequence runs for 130 frames, or nearly 6 seconds.
- Over 130 sets were built across 52 different stages at the studios. Spanning 183,000 square feet, the 52 stages were the most ever deployed for a stop-motion animated feature.
- At one hour and forty minutes long, this is the longest stop-motion film to date.
Coraline: I almost fell down a well yesterday, Mom.
Mother: [typing] Uh-huh.
Coraline: I almost died.
Mother: That's nice.
Coraline: I think I heard someone calling you... Wyborn.
Wybie: What? I didn't hear anything.
Coraline: Oh I definitely heard someone... Why-were-you-born...
Coraline: Well, what should I do?
Miss Spink: Never wear green in your dressing room.
Miss Forcible: Acquire a very tall step-ladder.
Bobinsky: I am the Amazing Bobinsky! But you call me Mr B, because amazing, I already know that I am.
Other Mother: You know, you could stay forever, if you want to. There's one tiny thing we have to do first...
Other Mother: They say even the proudest spirit can be broken... with love.
True story #1: When I was younger, I would take my little sister in between these two trees in our backyard that had their branches grown together and tell her it was a doorway to another world. In this other world, everything was the same but better- the grass was greener, the sky was bluer, etc. However, anyone you came across in the other world was an evil twin counterpart. One time I guess I forgot to take her back through to our world before we went somewhere, and she was convinced that our parents were evil kidnappers.
True story #2: I could have watched the movie in the time I just spent wasting on the website/putting this post together. It's 11.11 (make a wish) and I haven't started packing for school yet, and I leave tomorrow early morning. Cool.